Embarking on the journey to become a certified teacher in Kenya involves obtaining a crucial identifier – the Teacher Service Commission (TSC) number. This unique number not only validates your teaching profession but also unlocks various opportunities in the education sector. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the steps to register as a teacher in Kenya and acquire your TSC number.
- Registering as a teacher in Kenya involves obtaining a TSC number, a vital identifier in the education sector.
- Eligibility criteria include academic qualifications, a minimum mean grade in KCSE, and demonstrating high moral character and professionalism.
- The registration process includes preparing necessary documents, completing online registration on the TSC website, paying registration fees, verification, biometric enrollment, and finally, the issuance of the TSC number.
The Steps to Register as a Teacher and Obtain a TSC Number
1. Eligibility Requirements
Before commencing the registration process, ensure you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Academic Qualifications: Hold a minimum of a P1 Certificate from a recognized Teacher Training College (TTC) or a bachelor’s degree in education from an accredited university.
- KCSE Requirements: Attain a minimum mean grade of C+ (Plus) and C+ (Plus) in English and Mathematics.
- Professional Ethics: Demonstrate high moral character and professionalism.
2. Prepare Your Documents
Gather the necessary documents to support your application:
- Original and copies of academic certificates and transcripts.
- National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of your passport.
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
- KRA PIN Certificate.
- Bank slip or M-Pesa transaction slip indicating payment for TSC registration.
3. Register Online
Follow these steps for online registration:
- Visit the official TSC website: www.tsc.go.ke.
- Click on the “Online Services” tab.
- Select “Teachers Online Services.”
- Click on the “Register” button for new applicants.
- Fill in personal details, academic qualifications, employment history (if applicable), and contact information.
- Upload scanned copies of required documents.
- Review information and click “Submit.”
- Print the acknowledgment form for reference.
4. Payment of Registration Fees
Visit any National Bank branch to pay the TSC registration fee. Provide your Registration Certificate Number for processing.
5. Verification and Approval
The TSC will verify your application and documents. Track the status on the TSC website.
6. Biometric Enrollment
Upon approval, receive an SMS notification for biometric enrollment. Visit the nearest TSC county office for this process.
7. Issuance of TSC Number
After successful biometric enrollment, receive your TSC number – a crucial identifier for all Kenyan teachers.
Registering as a teacher in Kenya and obtaining a TSC number is a pivotal step in pursuing a teaching career. This process not only validates your credentials and professionalism but also ensures recognition by the Teachers Service Commission. Follow the outlined steps in this guide, and you’ll be on your way to making a meaningful impact in the education sector with your TSC number.